Boston Alternative Breaks Trip Introduction!

Hello everyone!

My name is John Locke, and at present, I am neither a famous philosopher nor involved in any television shows (though I will get around to publishing my third treatise on government eventually!...). Instead, right now I am finishing up my sophomore year at the University of Maryland, where I am currently studying biological sciences, with a focus on neurobiology (and a side interest in linguistics). I am from Baltimore, MD and have greatly enjoyed biking along the many trails in Maryland's parks (including the North Central Railroad trail, the Loch Raven trail system, and more recently, the Paint Branch trail system!). My parents are musicians (my father plays percussion, and my mother plays piano), so I naturally enjoy listening to music and attending concerts whenever possible. When not studying or spending time with family and friends, I enjoy riding my bike, playing the guitar, and swimming!

Last year, I had the opportunity to participate in an Alternative Breaks experience where we learned about environmental sustainability and assisted in caring for three species of sea turtles at the Karen S. Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center, located in Topsail Beach, North Carolina. This trip to Boston will be my second Alternative Breaks experience, and I am very excited to be a leader this time, along with my co-leader, Emelia Gold, and our faculty advisor, Kyle Kastler. I know many people who have gone on this trip before, and I have heard fantastic stories of their experiences as they learned about food justice in the greater Boston area. I also believe that the topics of food deserts and food insecurity, along with the intersections of the many social justice issues that come along with these, are highly interesting and pertinent to a number of locations in the country, both urban (such as Baltimore and Washington D.C.) and rural (such as Appalachia and the Mississippi Delta). Additionally, I have greatly enjoyed my brief time in the city of Boston beforehand, while exploring its historical sites and learning of its unique culture. Naturally, I am eagerly anticipating our departure, and this time, I look forward to sharing this experience with you all as we engage with our community partners and learn about methods of fighting food deserts through urban agriculture and social justice! Looking forward to seeing you all soon!!

- John Locke 

Comments

Popular Posts